Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Prom and Prejudice

I've recently finished reading Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg. I selected this story because I have a new affinity for a good retelling and the Jane Austen classic has and always will be one of my favorites. After reading a retelling of Jane, which I have previous blogged about, I had very high expectations for this retelling. I'm sorry to say that Prom and Prejudice fell a little short of my high expectations. The reason for this is most likely because this is more a of a middle school book and I checked it out from a high school library.

Of course, the plot is great. Darcey attends a private high school, Pemberly and Elizabeth is attends Longborn on a piano scholarship. Of course, the two do not like each other on their first meeting. Of course, Jane, Elizabeth's roommate is extremely nice but has fallen on harder times because her father was laid off. Of course, Jane's sister Lydia is completely ridiculous. Of course, Wickham is Mr. Wickham. Of course, instead of the search for a husband, this is the story of a search for a prom date.

I think I would have liked Prom and Prejudice much better if I hadn't read the retelling of Jane Eyre first and if I had checked it out from a middle school library.

No comments:

Post a Comment