Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I just finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I really enjoyed the book for several reasons. First of all, it reminded me of the classic, Catcher in the Rye, because of the stream of consciousness writing. Second, I thought the book was intelligently written with some life-lessons to learn. Though the characters are frequent drug users, they struggle with the same dilemmas as most high schools, trouble fitting ins or finding yourself.

I must say that I had to re-read the last 10 pages about 5 times to "get it." With the first read, I completely missed what happened. With the second read, I couldn't believe what happened. Around the 5th time, it started to sound really obvious and as if I should have figured out the dynamic from the beginning of the novel. I hope that wasn't a spoiler for anyone!

There is a recent movie with Emma Watson out and I really look forward to seeing it, probably from Redbox! Our book club is talking about using this is a book. I feel like reading this would be very thought provoking for many students and maybe help some understand the difference that they have with their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment