Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Queen of Kentucky

 Recently, I read Alecia Whitaker's The Queen of Kentucky.  Raised on a cattle ranch, I deeply enjoyed reading this book because the main character Ricky Jo/ Erica is a farm girl too. This book is about her finding her place at a new school. In the beginning, she is trying to reinvent herself. Part of that reinvention involves changing her name from Ricky Jo to Ericka. Part of that reinvention involves new clothes and trying out for cheerleader.

I felt that this novel had some excellent lessons for teenagers but might be difficult for kids raised in a city to relate to. I identified with the main character, but I have trouble seeing many teens learning what they should from this novel, because they might have trouble understanding some of Erica's life experiences, like working in a tobacco field all summer to earn spending money.

Living in Buffalo, NY, I might not buy this for my high school library. Were I still living in Little Rock, AR, I wouldn't hesitate.

No comments:

Post a Comment