Thursday, January 3, 2013

Loser/ Queen

Before I really get started, I should probably say that Jodi Lynn Anderson is probably one of my favorite young adult authors. Last spring, I read her Peaches series, and though I had a few reservations then, I have come to believe that it was a great series because there were lessons to be learned from the experiences of the three main characters. I feel the same way about Loser/ Queen.

In Loser/Queen Cammy is a major misfit. She does not have any real friends besides the exchange student from Denmark, Gerdi. Things start changing for Gerdi when she starts to text with the mysterious "White Rabbit." The White Rabbit makes her cool, unique, popular, a stand-out, a friend to the friendless, liked, desirable to boys and all the other things that teenager wants to be.

When the White Rabbit starts to ask Cammy to do things that are inappropriate or could really hurt someone, things start to go wrong.

I loved Loser/Queen not only because there are lessons to be learned from Cammy's mistakes, but because Anderson's writing is welcoming and age appropriate, just like it was in the Peaches series and Tiger Lilly.  Loser/Queen makes me appreciate how wide a subject area that Anderson is equipped to write within, From a southern trifecta of lonely teens in Peaches to a fantasy from a new point of view in Tiger Lilly to a misfit on the way to new understandings in Loser/ Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment