Friday, February 3, 2012

Peaches



I was told that as a southern woman, I had to read Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson. I enjoyed reading this book because the way that Anderson plays young friendships off of nature and the spirit of hard work.




This book has three main characters that are so different the real entertainment begins when they start to become friends. Leeda is the "spoiled brat" who makes an appearance of being perfect but is the misfit within her own family. Birdie is her sheltered/ home-schooled cousin with a passion for her home and the survival of her family's peach orchard. Murphy is a brilliant student who lack guidance and a sense of direction. When they all three end up working at the peach orchard for the summer, some by choice and some not by choice, the relationships they develop will change each of their lives.


Spoiler Alert: The only problem that I have with this story is that Leeda sort gives Murphy her boyfriend. This feels wrong to me on so many levels, no matter how much Murphy and Rex loved each other.



Ann Brashares, the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, said that "Peaches is a sweet and delicious read." This is very true. I have to say that Peaches reminded me of a cross between The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Divine Secrets of the Ya- Ya Sisterhood. I'd buy this book as an addition to a middle school or high school library. It is part of a series that spans the gap between the maturity levels of middle school students and high school students.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I forgot my citation again!

    Anderson, Jodi Lynn. Peaches. Harper Trophy: New York, 2006. ISBN 978-1-415-67919-7.

    ReplyDelete