Thursday, May 2, 2013

Second Helpings

I might be addicted to Jessica Darling and her wit. I find her deeply engaging and entertaining and that might be why I have finished reading this second book, Second Helpings, by Megan McCafferty so quickly. Jessica Darling is perhaps one of the most likable characters in all of young adult chick-lit; yes she is flawed and makes some very poor decisions in Second Helpings. We all have lessons to learn from her mistakes.

I think I enjoy reading things from Jessica's point of view so much because I once was just like her and I identify with her problems. I was a senior in high school just like Jessica on September 11th. I struggled with finding a healthy way to react to the event. I wanted to fit in and be part of something, but not by running Cross Country, a sport which my father thought I enjoyed, just like Jessica's father. I was filled with angst over my college acceptance and hated my mailman just like Jessica. However, the fact that Jessica can still be true to herself as a best-selling book and movie based on that book become big money makers, her very pregnant sister moves back in the house, her grandmother struggles after a second stroke and Marcus Flutie is still messing with her, proves that this book provides young readers with a good role model- even though she makes some pretty big mistakes.

I believe that I mentioned that first book addressed common teen issues like sex, drinking, drugs, and the peer pressure to participate in the the activities related to sex, drinking, and drugs. Thus, this book is for mature high school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment