Friday, January 27, 2012

The Princess Diaries


Before starting my library practicum at middle school, I had no idea that one of my favorite contemporary teen movies was a book series first. I am usually in tune with these sorts of things but, with very few differences- like being set in New York City instead of San Francisco and the fact that Mia's father is still living- I found the Princess Diaries: Volume I to be very entertaining, engaging, and exciting.


Like the very popular movies, what makes the book series (at least 10 books and a series of novellas) is Mia's voice and sense-of- self. Teenage girls are undoubtedly very unsure of themselves and so is Mia in her won way. Watching her grow, as an adult reader, makes me reflect on my own growth as a teenager.



Young readers will enjoy making comparisons to the movies that they have probably already seen. This kind of thinking skill is very valuable, especially when it comes from asking students to read for pleasure. Also, the moral lessons that the books open up for discussions abound. Mia is a vegetarian, when she goes on a date and he orders her a steak: What should she have said? What is appropriate for her to do? Mia's friends, specifically Lilly, seem to want to belong to a cause; what makes a cause good or worthy of joining?

Currently, I am reading the second book, Princess in the Spotlight. I just book talked the book as "realistic fiction." The corrector in the class reminded be that there was "no such country as Genovia." True. However, everything else could probably happen. Then I tapped the child on the head with my wand and said "I'm always right."

No comments:

Post a Comment